In the weekend of 24 - 26 April Curacao Chess Players Foundation held yet another edition of the All Star Tournament. The tournament kicked off on Friday evening April 24th with the open group with a total of 26 players.
On Saturday April 25th about 30 youth chess players including 5 players from Bonaire took up a 5 round challenge of 15 minute games for the top prizes in the youth section of the tournament where by early afternoon the results were made known and were as follow:
Best scored age 6-9 players who received medals:
Best scored age 10-12 players who received medals:
Top overall winners who received trophies
This years Open Group was already a tough challenge between the various veteran players and counting with the participation of various young and upcoming youth talents local and from Bonaire seem to make it a whole lot interesting. After a 3 day battle of 5 rounds of 1:30 hour each with 30 second increment per move the tournament came to an end on Sunday evening and the results known as below:
Open group winners
Thanks to the Bonaire delegation of players along with leader Mr. Serapio Pop for participating.
Curacao Chess Players Foundation hosted yet another successful edition of its yearly school chess tournament last weekend March 28th and 29th. A total of about 60 players ranging from the ages 6 to 20 participated. The tournament was divided into primary and secondary school groups. The secondary school group played a total of 5 rounds Swiss system while the primary school group played an initial 7 rounds Swiss system with the top 10 players moving on into the primary school finale group playing round-robin with a total of 9 rounds and the remaining players in the primary school stimulus group playing 7 rounds Swiss on Sunday. After 2 days of youthful chess games and talents thescores became known. Below the final score ranking for which prizes were handed out. Visit the tournament's page for complete pairings, results and standing.
Primary school stimulus group
1. Wiek Herben 7 pts - Schroederschool
2. Anthony Jansen 6 pts - Coromoto College
3. Xavier Werleman 5 pts - Kolegio Maria Auxiliadora
4. Sherwison Delfina 4 pts - Coromoto College
5. Brandon Hinds - 4 pts Romer Basisschool
Primary school finale group
1. Taqesyah Marcos 8.5 pts - Skol Emmanuel
2. Jean-Pierre De Freitas 7.5 pts - Vigdis Joncheer-Mensing College
3. Patrick Yard 7 pts - Dr. Nelly Winkel Basisschool
4. Miguel Lam 6 pts - Vigdis Joncheer-Mensing College
5. Gabrielle Winklaar 4 pts - St. Margaretha College
Secondary school group
1. Ailen Mena 5 pts- Radulphus College
2. David Pietersz 4.5 pts - Radulphus College
3. Michael Yard 4 pts - SKAI VSBO
4. Derrick Izijk 4 pts -Radulphus College
5. Dylan Mathilda 3.5 pts - Radulphus College
6. Timothy Carolina 3 pts - Radulphus College
Thanks to Curacao Beverage Bottling Co (Coca Cola) and SELIKOR for sponsoring this event.
The battle in the Open group was an exciting one combining young and older chess talents. Despite the tough challenge former: multi youth chess champion and club player Nigel Silvania managed to take in 3rd place after Jimmy Izijk coming in on 2nd and Ursus van Bemmelen on 1st.